Before I begin this post, let me just issue a hearty welcome to whoever visited me from Redondo Beach, CA! 🙂 Whether you’re SBF, TF, MF, DF, (CF not from Redondo Beach but maybe visiting his relatives) or MA, please believe that I am glad you came! 🙂
Since Representative Paul Ryan and the other House Congresspeople have proposed such a completely insane budget, the Democrats need to offer a counter proposal that’s as far left as the Ryan budget is far right. That’s the way you negotiate. It’s not by saying, “Ok, you want more than we’re willing to give but we’ll not only start by meeting you in the middle, we’ll actually start by giving you even more than you’re willing to settle for”.
It doesn’t work that way! If you do that, then they think you’re starting with more than you’re willing to give and then they want to settle somewhere in the middle which is way more than you’re willing to settle for. But if you’re the one in power, then they think you’re cheating them and not compromising.
This is exactly what has led to the Republicans proposing such an insane budget. The more you give, the more they think they can get away with.
So, I’m going to offer a counter proposal of just a few of the things I think we should offer as our starting position.
1. Remove the age limit for Medicare. ANYBODY can buy into it or buy it for their children. For those who make 2 times the poverty level or less, the government will subsidize all of your premiums, deductibles and co-pays. From 2 times the poverty level to 4 times the poverty level, the subsidization will gradually taper off until those at 4 times the poverty level will pay full price.
2. Get rid of Medicaid since option number 1 will cover everybody.
3. Provide food “stamps” for anybody who’s at 2 times the poverty level or less and gradually taper them off until you’re making 4 times the poverty level. Cut the red tape and make it easy to apply for them and get them. Set up “soup kitchens” all over the country so that anybody, with no credentials whatsoever, can walk in at ANY time and get a good, nutritious meal.
4. Triple the minimum wage and apply it to illegal aliens. Make the penalties for not paying the minimum wage so that it’s a SERIOUS deterence even for those who don’t pay the minimum wage to “illegal” workers.
5. Increase taxes for those who make 2 million dollars or more to with a graduated tax from the base amount up to 95%.
6. Eliminate all tax loopholes for rich corporations and set a flat corporate tax rate of 25% except for deductions for small businesses.
7. Increase tarifs so that all products made in other countries are competitively priced with domestic products.
8. Raise taxes on companies who hire foreigners and outsource work to other countries to the point where it’s competetive to hire Americans.
9. Reduce the military budget to one fourth it’s current level
10. Immediately break up all companies that dominate their industry if they are one of 20 or fewer coporations in a similar income bracket so that each company becomes at least 10 or more companies.
11. Dramatically increase tax breaks and incentives for small companies with fewer than 100 employees and especially those with fewer than 10 employees.
Well, I’m sure I could think of more, but I guess that’s enough for now.
So, Republicans. NOW Let’s meet in the middle!